Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Application and Interview #1

I've never blogged before and I'm not an amazing writer so I won't guarantee the quality of my posts... But here's the first one anyways...


I moved to a new city about 2 weeks ago and I've had a hard time finding a job. Granted I didn't really devote copious amounts of time to it but still... Last time I had to find a job I got the first one I applied for. Very telling of these troubled economic times. 

Anyways... I was perusing wanted ads on the internet when I came across one for Hooters. I had always been pretty intrigued by the idea of working somewhere that microscopic shorts and in-your-face cleavage isn't frowned upon. My last job was at a children's store. A far cry from Hooters. I was never really one of those girls who thought "Oh my god the girls that work there must be skanks!" which seems to be the common opinion. I was always jealous, though, of the care-free attitude and confidence that the girls who work there exuded. I'm not super self-conscious but the idea of having men stare at my boobs and ass all day is kind of daunting.

Putting my fears aside, I applied for the job as a server at my local Hooters restaurant. I copied the e-mail address in the ad into the "To:" line, wrote a quick paragraph telling a little bit about myself, attached my resume and a recent picture of myself, took a deep breath and clicked send. I had a moment of panic right after. WHAT AM I DOING??? I calmed myself down. Okay think about it... great tips, meeting girls around my own age to hang out with and I would be a Hooters Girl... The last one was probably the most exciting to me. Those girls are HOT!

Not even 2 hours after I sent in my application I got a call from the manager... let's call him R3. Anyways R3 said that he had received my application and wanted me to come in for an interview the next day. I was surprised that he had called so quickly after I sent my application. I was definitely not expecting that but I quashed my nervousness and pretended to be brave. The next day I would go at noon for my interview with him.

I wasn't really sure what to wear. I didn't want to look trashy but I needed to make sure they saw that I wouldn't look too bad in the unforgiving hot pants and tank top combo. I decided on my favorite dark jeans and a fairly low cut black silk top belted at the waist. I probably should have worn heels but those are all in a box somewhere and I really didn't have time to find them. So black flats it was.

       I left pretty early hoping to be there about 5 or 10 minutes before I was supposed to have my interview. I have the worst luck though so there was construction and traffic pretty much the whole way there. If I knew my way around better I would have taken a different route but I think that would have made my situation much worse.

        I got there pretty much right on time which irked me because I always like to be a bit early. I'm often over-prepared so this kind of situation stressed me out. R3 didn't seem to notice and was super friendly and welcoming. I was immediately comfortable around him which made the whole interview much easier.

       I'm a pretty outgoing person and I'm not usually shy but in interviews I tend to be a bit more reserved than what I'm typically like. My greatest fear going in to this interview was that this would happen. Being shy doesn't cut it at Hooters. I have never seen a girl there who wasn't super outgoing and bubbly so I knew that, if anything, I had to be much more exuberant than I actually am. Thankfully, because of  R3's friendliness, I was able to relax and become a slightly more smiley and bubbly version of myself. 

      He asked a few questions that I've never gotten before in an interview but are completely relevant to the job like if I had anyone in my life (parent, sibling, boy/girlfriend) who would object to me working there, if I was comfortable with wearing the uniform or if I would cry the second I tried it on and also if I was aware that most peoples' preconceived notions of Hooters wasn't accurate. Other than that the interview felt more like a conversation than a Q&A period. I was relieved. And apparently I did fairly well because I'm headed back tomorrow for a second interview. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. You're a much better writer than I think you realize. You used a lot of detail, which is great, and the post kept me interested. I would recommend using separated paragraphs, however, especially for longer posts like this one; people see a big block of text and often just keep moving. Separated paragraphs are much more reader friendly.

    The only other advice I have to give you is to write regularly, remain completely anonymous, and don't tell anyone about this blog! Telling even one or two trusted friends my prevent you from being as honest as you should be, and a disgruntled ex might blow your cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! That's great advice and I'll definitely keep that in mind when writing in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as you hear an answer on whether or not you got the job, let me know! I'll do a write up about your blog, including a link. I'll link you in the sidebar, as well. It should get you a decent audience to begin with, so all you'll need to do is keep them coming back! Don't hesitate with any other questions, btw.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Who's Stopped By?

Just so you know...

Everything said here is my opinion alone. These statements are NOT NECESSARILY THE VIEWs AND/OR OPINIONs OF HOOTERS INC, HOOTERS OF AMERICA INC, OR OF ANY OTHER HOOTERS AFFILIATE. HOOTERS INC, HOOTERS OF AMERICA INC, AND OTHER HOOTERS AFFILIATES ARE IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH, "THE HOOTERS EXPERIENCE," AND THEY DO NOT ENDORSE OR SUPPORT, "THE HOOTERS EXPERIENCE."