Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Paperwork and Air Way Restriction

I know I said I would probably post about telling my parents that I'm now a Hooters Girl but I chickened out yesterday so there was nothing to tell. I did, however, let them in on it today in a rather interesting way. But more about that later.

I had school this morning and I was going to do some reading after my last class before I drove over to Hooters for my orientation. Turns out there was some event going on out by the pond at school that involved bouncy castles, free cotton candy and those awesome sumo wrestling games where you dress up in a giant fat suit and jump on other fat suit wearing students and profs. Needless to say, no reading got done. The festivities also made me lose track of time and I hoped there wouldn't be too much traffic.

I got to Hooters 5 minutes before my orientation was supposed to start and saw GM F near the back sitting at a table with a bunch of papers and another girl. He waved me over and introduced me to the girl sitting with him. She was tall and blonde with a piercing on each side of her bottom lip which I thought weren't allowed at Hooters. I have absolutely no recollection of what her name is but she kind of reminded me of Avril Lavigne for some reason so let's call her Avril. She was super friendly and talkative so all the paperwork we had to fill out wasn't quite as boring as it usually is. 

I am now contractually obliged to have my hair and makeup done at all times during my shift and to "appear to be having fun" during my shifts. I'm not allowed to speak ill of my coworkers or managers and although I hope they're all great to work with and really nice people I have a feeling I might have some things to say about some of the people I'll be working with. You can't put a bunch of girls in pantyhose and orange hot pants and expect everyone to be pleasant to each other all the time. It just won't happen. 

After all the paperwork was done, we got a tour of the back and GM F showed us where we would find the alcohol, where the schedule was posted and where his office was. He introduced us to all the girls and everyone seemed happy and bubbly and nice. It made me excited to start (which will happen Monday by the way). We went over the sexual harassment policy and GM F made it very clear that if anyone makes us uncomfortable, whether it be a customer, cook, manager or even another Hooters Girl, that we should let him know so he can make sure the situation is resolved. I feel completely confident that him and R3 will be there for me 100% if I ever need anything and that's a great feeling to have.

Orientation also brought with it the Hooters Girl UNIFORM!!! Yup they busted out the shorts, tank tops, pantyhose and, of course, the slouch socks! Unfortunately, we didn't get to try it all on there and GM F guessed what sizes we would need. I couldn't wait to get home and try it all on! Both my shorts and my shirt were an XXS. This didn't worry me too much because I know that Hooters sizes are a (more than) a little skewed. Once I got home I ran to my bedroom and took my uniform out of my bag so I could try it on. The pantyhose were the most ridiculously tricky things to get on. If you have ever tried to put a wetsuit on that was still damp it was a lot like that. I got the shorts on and pulled the shirt over my head. I could tell that I was going to have a hard time pulling it over my boobs (which aren't even that big!) but with a little effort and lots of holding my breath I got it pulled down. The effect that the shirt had on my boobs was not flattering. They were squished in so much that from the side it looked like I was almost completely flat except for over the neck line of the shirt and it made it impossible for me to breathe normally. Also when I looked in the mirror I noticed that the shorts were quite loose. So it looks like I'm going to have to get a size bigger for the top and a size smaller for the bottom. At least it's not the other way around right? I mean I'm working for Hooters...

I'm gonna save my story about telling my parents for the later this week since I won't have any other stories until my first shift on Monday. Which, by the way, is football night so I am a little nervous about it since I'm working at night. Oh well. It'll be fun to see what it's like on a busy night!

4 comments:

  1. Your writing is very entertaining. It flows well and your wit is just awesome. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog! What memories that all brings back of my first days at Hooters. The uniform (of course we had the old style Dolfin shorts in which you felt more exposed), telling the parents...mine were fine with it so I was stressing for naught...and the all around excitement of being a HOOTERS GIRL! I'm looking foward to reading about all your experiences. On a personal note I've been with Hooters 4 years now so feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need advise. I'm happy to help out anyway I can. Maybe eventually we can even do a tank swap. Sounds like you're on your way to making a fantastic Hooters girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and welcome to the family!! If you pull out the neckline of the tank top just a tad (so you can hear it stretch a little) it will fit much better trust me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wingflinger- Thanks so much for the encouragement! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions so it's great to know that I've got people to go to!

    brit- Thanks for the tip! I'll be trying that out tonight! haha

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Who's Stopped By?

Just so you know...

Everything said here is my opinion alone. These statements are NOT NECESSARILY THE VIEWs AND/OR OPINIONs OF HOOTERS INC, HOOTERS OF AMERICA INC, OR OF ANY OTHER HOOTERS AFFILIATE. HOOTERS INC, HOOTERS OF AMERICA INC, AND OTHER HOOTERS AFFILIATES ARE IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH, "THE HOOTERS EXPERIENCE," AND THEY DO NOT ENDORSE OR SUPPORT, "THE HOOTERS EXPERIENCE."