Sunday, September 27, 2009

Well fuck you too, Foam!!!

My second training shift was on bar. Something I was not expecting AT ALL! But I think it went reasonably well... Sort of.

I got to work early enough to do my makeup and get my uniform on. I headed out to sit at the staff table to do jump start (where the girls coming in for the night shift find out all the specials, promos, if we're out of anything and all that jazz...). I expected to be with KJ again on the floor but Doughnut (one of the other managers) told me I would be on bar with Tink. Oh goodness. I've never worked behind a bar and I was sure that pouring beer would be quite an adventure for me.

First, Tink took me behind the bar and showed me what to check for before we can let the day girl leave. Since there weren't very many tables when we came in, she showed me where all the beer, liquor, lemons, limes and oranges were. We made sure that everything was stocked and waited for our first drink order to come in. She also told me the golden rule of working on bar: "No chit, no shit!". Basically, if any of the girls ask for a drink to be made, they need to ring it in first. If they're in the middle of ringing it in, you can get it for them but you need to make sure that they do.

For the most part, we just had to pour beer but there were a few drinks that had to be made. I pretty much sucked at pouring beer. I guess it takes practice but I had a really hard time trying to tilt the glass enough, or not too much. Tink told me not to worry since everyone needs practice and she still has difficulty with it sometimes. By the end of the night I was a little better at it, only having a few glasses overflowing with foamy, beery, yuckiness

Halfway through the night, I was pouring a glass of Stella when it decided to spray foam all over my face, hair and shirt. Fanfuckingtastic. I turn around and Tink is standing there laughing at me. She told me that if any of the beer we have on tap runs out, that's its way of telling you. Lovely. She told on of the boys in the kitchen and they got more. I went to the back for a few minutes to get the beer off my face and out of my hair and to fix my makeup.

Other than that, nothing too embarrassing happened. It wasn't very busy so I studied the menu and got Tink to quiz me on it. I think I can handle myself behind the bar now. My first shift alone is going to be a bar shift so I'll find out just how much I know on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Who's Stopped By?

Just so you know...

Everything said here is my opinion alone. These statements are NOT NECESSARILY THE VIEWs AND/OR OPINIONs OF HOOTERS INC, HOOTERS OF AMERICA INC, OR OF ANY OTHER HOOTERS AFFILIATE. HOOTERS INC, HOOTERS OF AMERICA INC, AND OTHER HOOTERS AFFILIATES ARE IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH, "THE HOOTERS EXPERIENCE," AND THEY DO NOT ENDORSE OR SUPPORT, "THE HOOTERS EXPERIENCE."